Sunday, 20 May 2012

Big ol' update from little ol' me

Well hello you monstrous lot! I feel I am in need of a major update on here, so I'm going to fill you in on what's been happening in the world of the Lillustrator.

There have been a lot of exciting things happening, some of which are still progressing, some I'm currently working on and some that may be happening in the not so far future.

Let us begin with a picture of a cat...

So, I'm currently working on a fairytale book for the publisher, Pearson. I've worked with Pearson before on Moya the Luck child. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, here's a few snippets of artwork from the book.

If you fancy it, you can purchase Moya the Luck Child at a very good price from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moya-Luck-Child-Brown-CLUB/dp/1408273810/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337930802&sr=8-1

This new book called The Escape is part of a new Bug Club series of books, which will be a collection of short plays endorsed by Julia Donaldson. Which is extremely exciting!

The Escape tells the story of a wicked wizard who pursues a Princess and her saviour, a dashing Prince. The Princess uses various spells to disguise themselves and escape the evil Wizard. It's a rather crazy story full of humour for the children and a lot of energetic spreads to illustrate. However, nearly every page involves drawing a horse. Now let me tell you, I am not the biggest fan of drawing horses. For those of you out there who have tried it before I'm sure you can empathise when I say they are bloody hard!

Anyway, my deadline for the rough artwork is on the 24th May, so I'm working like a madwoman at the moment whilst I juggle other projects on the go.

For a while now, I've been working with Orchard books on a story of my own. Writing and illustrating your own book is quite the challenge, but really good fun. I can't reveal too much on this book at the moment I'm afraid, but I will of course keep you lovelies in the loop as much as I can.

Other than Orchard, I've also been working with Boxer Books on a two book deal. Again I've written and illustrated both books, however, they are a lot simpler and focus primarily on the imagery, targeting children ages 5-8 years old. The name of the books, respectively, are 'Puppies' and 'Kittens'. They are illustrated in my Scrumdiddly sketch style, very different to Moya the Luck Child and The Escape.

An example of a scrumdiddly style piece:

My agent very kindly sent me some photos from Bologna bookfair showing the two books standing on the shelves ready to be sold to other countries. The books are currently being held for a year by Boxer books to access their progress at the various book fairs and sell the co-editions. If the sale of co-editions is successful, I will be signing a permanent contract with Boxer books at the end of the one year development contract, and the two books will be published ready for the book shops in Spring 2013. Yippee!

Amongst all of this, I have been to various meetings with the ol' portfolio chatting through potential future projects and the opportunity to work with other authors on some very exciting texts. Last friday I met with the lovely head Designer and editor of Bloomsbury publishing. We discussed a text that has been mentioned before concerning a little monster, which may be moving forward some time in the near future. Fingers crossed for this!

Also, last week I met up with the lovely Phoenix comic guys in their cosy office in Oxford. You can also find them here: http://www.thephoenixcomic.co.uk/ Apart from absolutely loving Oxford, I was extremely excited at the prospect of taking part in the awesome Phoenix comic. Each issue is full of extremely talented comic artists and their tantalizing stories, including the epic adventurers extrordinaire 'Cogg & Sprokit' by the fine and talented Jamie Littler. Take a look at more of his work (and some tasty Cogg & Sprokit snippets here: http://jamielittler.co.uk/ Ruddy brilliant stuff I say!

Anyway, after 3 hours of chatting, cake eating, idea generating and the odd conversation concerning beard growth (which I sadly could not really cooperate) I was fuelled with extreme inspiration and motivation. A potential comic idea is in the works RIGHT NOW which I am very very excited about.

Well, you've got this far... I'm impressed. Although I'm not surprised if you didn't get up and go for a nice long coffee break to wake yourselves up half way through this blog post of babble. I really do appreciate the support of all my followers though (that means YOU) and I hereby promise to keep this blog of mine more up to date form now on! Not just with images, but writing of sorts too. It's about time I recorded more of my Lil-ventures and such. And if you're interested in reading about them, then great! If not, then I'll never know eh!

Cheerio my friends. I look forward to seeing you again real soon!

Lil

Let's end on a pair of my slippers.

1 comment: